Click on the link below if your are looking for next year's data, otherwise keep reading ...
Voters in 123 Long Island districts had the chance to vote on their school taxes, budgets and on school board candidates. Six school budgets were defeated in Nassau County and four were rejected in Suffolk County. Officials say the average school budget on Long Island included a tax hike of about 3.4 percent.
SCHOOL VOTE 2010 FACT SHEET
- There are 124 school districts on Long Island who vote on School Vote Day.(May 18th).56 in Nassau68 in Suffolk
- 2 budgets were defeated on the 1st vote last yearBoth went directly to a contingency budget
- Districts currently on contingency:NASSAU (0)
SUFFOLK (2)Pathogue-MedfordShoreham-Wading River
- Wyandanch has the largest proposed tax levy increase on Long Island & in Suffolk County.West Hempstead has the largest proposed tax levy increase in Nassau County.
- 8 districts have a zero proposed tax levy increase or a decrease in the proposed tax levy.
- NASSAUValley Steam 24 -0.89%
- SUFFOLKFire Island 0.00%East Quogue -0.07%Westhampton Beach -0.43%Oysterponds -0.44%Bridgehampton -0.73%Shelter Island -0.79%East Hampton -2.08%
- Average proposed school tax levy increases across Long Island are 3.41%Nassau 3.38%Suffolk 3.45%
- Proposed budget spending increases across Long Island are 2.36%Nassau 2.54%Suffolk 2.21%
- Highest Proposed Tax Levy Increases
NASSAUWest Hempstead 9.40%Westbury 6.88%Seaford 5.97%Freeport 5.45%Lynbrook 5.42%
SUFFOLKWyandanch 13.94%Sag Harbor 11.58%Montauk 9.80%William Floyd 8.53%Elwood 7.21%
- School districts that operate under a contingency budget in the 2010-11 school year will have their spending increase capped at 0.00% over the last year’s budget. According to the law, the contingency budget cap is equal to the lesser of 120% of the calendar year average CPI (consumer price index) or 0.00%.
Proposed School Tax Levy Increases:
2010 2009 2008 2007 2006Nassau 3.38% 2.87% 4.04% 4.22% 5.1%
Suffolk 3.45% 2.55% 3.68% 5.28% 6.6%
Long Island 3.41% 2.72% 3.87% 4.72% 5.8%============================================Total Spending 2.36% 2.35% 5.09% 6.05% 6.6%