Smithtown 2011-2012 budget highlights
- Proposed budget 2011-2012 is $212,361,284 up 0.41% from 2010-2011 budget.
- Proposed Tax Levy 2011-2012 is $166,306,897 up 4.92% from 2010-2011 budget.
- Projected Students for 2011-2012 is 10,739 down 1.13% from 2010-2011.
- Contingent Budget for 2011-2012 is No Idea ?
New York state aid for this year was reduced by $5 million but taxes are going up by $8 million. That's an extra $3 million. Wonder where that money is going ? Total budget increase is just less than a million. So why they need the extra $2 million? I have no clue. May be they want to charge more this year so that they fill up the reserves and then they can use it next year. I don't like the concept of overpaying and filling up the school reserves for two reasons.
- You may not be a resident next year so why pay more to be used by anyone else.
- Schools use that reserve money to make contingency budget threats and force you to pay even more in later years instead of using the fund. Check out the blackmail to Middle country school district residents using the same logic this year.
Smithtown School Proposed Budget 2011-2012